Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Week Ten: Your Progress, Your Patterns

This is the time to evaluate, not only your progress but your patterns in fitness, organization and inspiration.  For example, it's June.  Is this a time of year when you slow down or amp up?  Are you at risk to lose ground or set up to gain ground?  When you observe your past patterns, you can respond better when you reach those same "seasons" the following year.

June Get Fit Tip: Walk whenever you can.  Be active, inside or outside, gardening or cleaning.  Invite family or friends to MEET YOU at a park or a scenic corner to join you in your exercise. Take a "community" class--dancing, stretching, walking--the city classes are usually inexpensive (no membership required) and short term (4-6 weeks). You are less likely to quit early, more likely to enjoy; call your Chamber of Commerce for summer class listings.

June Get Organized Tip: Clean out your freezer of old meats, frozen goods, and 1/2 used ice cream cartons.  Gather gently worn shoes, sweatshirts, sweaters, books, and linens and take to GoodWill.  Make a habit of cleaning out junk drawers and closets whenever you are watching a TV show that doesn't require your full attention.  Even "commercial" cleaning can lead to pitching trash and finding lost items.

June Get Inspired Tip: I'm so burdened by the way our culture is changing.  This is not "their" problem, but "our" problem.  I challenge EACH of us to mentor a younger person.  Wherever we have made progress, this should be our inspiration to help another! For example, why not volunteer FOR JUST ONE WEEK at VBS, or mentor a junior high student for 30 minutes a week (that's why I've been doing since January), or tutor a struggling student.  Remember, "Faith without works is..." (please fill in the blank)!

Be encouraged,

Becky

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip on cleaning out the freezer, mine was full with, who knows what. It was perfect to clean out things. My daughter is using our house for a wedding shower and bridesmaids sleep over this weekend. Nothing like having company over to motivate doing a little extra cleaning.

    The key for me exercising is having a plan with a time slot attached to it.

    Mentoring a young person: invited a 13yr to help me make wedding cakes tonight. I used to have her over when she was younger and we would do projects together. Praying that this turns into a weekly arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi All: I just endured a huge day of major dental work, so for a few days my dog walking is on hold. But that is my favorite way to walk (plus I do park farther when grocery shopping etc).
    I've been selecting various cupboards and things this summer and tossing stuff out. Feels good, and of course I find stuff I didnt know I had!

    Mentor-wise, I have had contact via the web and one friend with some people I may be meeting soon. One is a wife moving here from San Diego. I have planned to meet her one day. One is a gal new to town who needs a friend who is also on an insulin pump. One other lady sought me ought for the same reason. These opportunities keep coming my way. And I had to write their names down so I could keep them straight!
    Looking forward to the call. May not be able to speak well, but looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete